About the programme
The Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery (MBChB) programme has been granted provisional accreditation by the Medical Practitioners and Dentists Board.
The School will train doctors and will impart appropriate theoretical, research and practical knowledge, skills and attitudes that are responsive to the health needs of the Kenyan society. The programme covers pre-clinical which include; Human Anatomy, Medical Physiology, Medical Biochemistry, Medical Microbiology and Parasitology, Behavioural Sciences and Ethics, Community Health, Pathology and clinical areas; Anesthesia, Internal Medicine, Surgery, Reproductive Health, Mental Health, Child Health and Paediatrics, Orthopedic Surgery
Vision of the programme
To be a role model of excellence in science and technology, education and training in Africa.
Mission of the programme
To contribute to the society by provision of accessible and innovative quality medical education that promotes excellence in scholarship, research and equitable service to the communities.
Candidates wishing to study for the Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery degree shall have met the minimum University entry requirements.
- For the Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education (KCSE) holders, minimum university admission requirement is C+ (plus) and in addition, an average of B plain in each of the following cluster subjects
1. 1. Biology
3. Physics or Mathematics
4. English or Kiswahili.
- For Kenya advanced Certificate of Education (KACE) holders, a minimum of two principal passes in Biology, Chemistry and subsidiary pass in either Mathematics or Physics.
- For International Baccalaureate (IB), a minimum of grade 5 or above in International Baccalaureate
- For diploma holders in Medical Sciences, a minimum ‘O’ level Division II pass in K.A.C.E or C+ (plus) mean grade and a credit C+ in cluster subjects in KCSE , in addition to a three year diploma with a minimum of a credit pass from a medical training institution recognized by the Board
- Proficiency in English language
- For holders of any degree in Biological Sciences or equivalent qualifications from a recognized university subject to passing Graduate Record Examination (GRE)
- Other qualifications deemed to be equivalent to those in paragraphs (a)-(d) above from institutions recognized by the different institutions’’ Senates
The duration of the course shall not be less than six academic years and not more than twelve years.
- All units in the M.B,Ch.B., programme shall be compulsory unless the School Board recommends exemption and senate approves.
- The academic year in the School of Medicine shall be divided into 3 terms, with a minimum of 44 weeks. Each term shall be 14 or 15 weeks exclusive of any examinations.
Medical Practitioners and Dentists Board
MBCHB curriculum development and approval
The MBCHB curriculum underwent all the relevant levels of approval:-
- Stakeholders participation
- Curriculum review policy
- Curriculum review committee
- Senate approval
- Kenya Medical Practitioners and Dentist Board
- Commission for University Education
- East Africa Medical Practitioners and Dentist Board